REQUESTS FOR ABSENTEE BALLOTS: You must make the request for an absentee ballot in writing. You may do this online, via email or by mailing us a letter. Acceptable Photo ID is required for voting absentee both by mail and in-person. Absentee voting can be done in-person or by mail ballot as indicated in the Option for Voting materials. November ballots will be available for mailing out to all acceptable requests on file by September 17, 2020. After that date, ballots will be mailed out within 1 business day of the acceptable request being made. You can track your absentee ballot from the request to delivery on the MyVote Wisconsin website under the MyVoterInfo tab.
RETURNING YOUR MAIL BALLOT:
- USPS mail return: The ballot must be received back by no later than Election Day in order to count. The Postal Service advises at least 2-5 days for local delivery and longer for out of the area delivery.
- Drop off return: You may deliver your ballot to the Clerk's Office at City Hall during regular business hours (2000 North Calhoun Road, Brookfield WI 53005) (the “return to address” is listed on the envelope). Our regular Office hours are M-F, 8am-5pm. On Election Day, we are open 7am., to 8pm., and ballots may be dropped off up until 8pm.
- DROP BOX RETURN: You may drop your absentee ballot enclosed inside the completed return envelope, into the Payment Drop Box located on the east side parking lot that runs between the back of City Hall and Brookfield Central High School at any time between now and 8:00 pm., on Election Day. The drop box is checked daily and on Election Day it is checked multiple times during the day with the last check occurring at 8:00 pm. Click here for a map view of the Drop Box Location!
TRACKING YOUR MAIL BALLOT:
You can track the status of your absentee ballot from the request to delivery and when it is received back on the MyVote Wisconsin website under the MyVoterInfo tab. Once you return an absentee ballot, you may NOT vote at the polling location. If you have questions concerning your absentee ballot, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (262) 782-9650
MAIL BALLOT ENVELOPES ARE INSPECTED FOR THE FOLLOWING BY ELECTION INSPECTORS IN ORDER TO BE COUNTED:
- Voter Signature Required: Sign the certificate envelope where it indicates Voter Signature. Don't forget to enclose the ballot.
- Witness Signature Required: Any qualified elector (18 years or older, US Citizen, Not a felon) can sign as your witness including spouses, adult children, neighbors and friends. If you don’t have a witness to sign, we encourage you to vote in-person.
- Witness Address Required: Even if the address is the same as yours, you must include the witness address.
- Evidence of Tampering: DON’T TAPE YOUR ENVELOPE! Election Inspectors will view that as evidence that your envelope was opened and resealed as a tampering event and will reject your ballot. Please use a damp cloth or glue stick to seal your ballot envelope.
TRACK THE DELIVERY AND RECEIPT OF YOUR BALLOT UNDER THE "MY VOTER INFO" TAB ON MYVOTE!
In-Person Absentee Ballots a/k/a EARLY VOTING: Due to Covid-19, social distancing and safe protocols will be in place. Please wear a mask.
Location/Hours for In-Person Absentee Voting are listed below:
Location: City Hall Clerk’s Office, 2000 N Calhoun Road Brookfield WI 53005
Dates: Begins Tuesday, October 20, 2020 and Ends: Friday, October 30, 2020
Hours: 8:00 am., to 5:00 pm., (Weekdays, Monday–Friday)
The Number of Absentee Ballots Issued, Returned and Outstanding by Close of Polls on Election Day will be posted here by no later than 10 pm., on Election Day: